Home | Society

095

Weardale Museum & High House Chapel

Durham

Religion

High House Chapel was built in 1760 at a time of rapid chapel building by the Methodists.

It is reckoned to be the fortieth chapel built, but is the oldest to have had continuous weekly Methodist services - its original congregation being drawn predominately from the Weardale lead miners and their families.

Adjacent to it is the museum formed by volunteers in 1985. It houses collections of geology and archaeology from the local areas as well as celebrating the mining history of Weardale and inviting visitors to research their family history.

  • 1 Star
  • 2 Stars
  • 3 Stars
  • 4 Stars
  • 5 Stars
Tweets about "#100placesne"