Art, Landscape / Sculpture, Architecture
Wallington is a 17thcentury house set in remarkable grounds, with significant pre-Raphaelite murals and an influential family history.
The house dates from 1688 but was exquisitely redecorated inside in the 1740s. It is complemented by the 18th-century Clock Tower Gate. It has a beautifully decorated interior, including the notable murals in the central hall by the celebrated North East pre-Raphaelite painter William Bell Scott.
The landscaped gardens include designs by local Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown (one of the country’s most influential landscape gardeners) and are complemented by James Paine’s bridge and the characteristic griffins’ heads. The beautiful walled garden was remodelled by Lady Trevelyan in 1938, supporting a tradition of innovative women landscape designers working in Northumberland.
The House, along with its entire estate was gifted to the National Trust by Sir Charles Trevelyan, an aristocrat but also a very influential socialist. It was among the earliest estates to be handed over in this way.